Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Capital

So next week, I'll be headed out to Washington DC for a conference. I went there once before with a high school group and had a great time. It's been a while though, and thought I'd ask, any thoughts where I should spend my couple of evenings? What are the best things to see?

8 comments:

Alison said...

My FAVORITE is the Holocaust Museum. We were there for 3 hours and still didn't see everything. It was amazing. I also like the changing of the guard at Arlington National Cemetery - on the hour, from early in the morning till evening. You'd have to look up the hours the cemetery's open.

Alison said...

My FAVORITE is the Holocaust Museum. We were there for 3 hours and still didn't see everything. It was amazing. I also like the changing of the guard at Arlington National Cemetery - on the hour, from early in the morning till evening. You'd have to look up the hours the cemetery's open.

Kristina said...

The Holocaust Museum was really cool, but really sad of course. If it's not too cold, you can walk around and see all of the monuments. It takes a while, so bundle up! I can't remember what they call it, but there is a trail around a lake that leads to all of the monuments and memorials. Have fun!

MichiganMarshes said...

Evenings are hard, because this time of year most of the popular (free) museums close at 5. The weather should be in the 50's when you come. You could take an evening walk to the memorials. There are lots of fun local restaurants that will be open. Georgetown is a fun place to walk around and look at shops.

Jennie said...

I agree that the Holocaust museum was my favorite. I also love the WWII memorial:)

Abby said...

I really like the Newseum. Unfortunately it's only open until 5 like the Smithsonian museums, and it's a bit pricey, but it's really cool.

Georgetown is awesome, and I always love walking by the White House, Lincoln, and WWII. The FDR memorial is cool in the evenings.

Where are you staying--do you need food recommendations?

My family will be in town next week too! If you have some spare time you are welcome to join us for dinner some night.

Abraham said...

You could hang out with my family. Yay!

Dave said...

The National Art Museum at the Smithsonian is unbelivable. I have spent many hours there and am always amazed at the art. We are fortunate as a country to have such masterpieces for all to enjoy.

BTW, they have great gelato in the basement cafeteria also.