Also, I hadn't really spent much time at the actual farm, so Matt decided it was time for me to get some "Farm Education," so I could actually follow along and keep up with conversations.
I think it's safe to say when I found out Matt grew up on a farm, I thought he was joking. As silly as it seems, it is such a foreign world to me, my first thought was, "People still do that?!" We now joke around that we can have a farm one day if I can have my own pink tractor that I can drive to bring him his lunch, he thinks I'm crazy, but I think it would be great!
Anywho, education started on the first day, with crop identification. Everytime we'd drive into town to meet people, go to church, etc, (yes, we had to drive into town), he would quiz me on the various trees and other things. I am proud to say that I can now successfully distinguish almonds, pistachios, alfalfa, cotton, wheat and corn (i'm not that bad, i knew that one already).
On our actual Farm Education morning, we started out by explaining what the various machines do. It is really quite cool, all of the things the various machines can do. Then it was time to get me on a tractor. Matt said I was a natural, but I don't know if I believe him, when I was driving, we only got up to about 4 m/hr (hey, i'm not dumb, i'm pretty sure it would be a damper on the relationship with the in laws if I bulldozed down their house right before it's time for them to start living in it again...).
I really enjoyed seeing where Matt grew up and feeling like I have a least a smaller understanding of where he grew up. Good thing he's such a good teacher. Special thanks to Bob and Becky for helping us get there! And thanks to Mark and Tina, Melanie and Steve, and Dahl and LaRayne for being such good hosts! We're excited to be back in 21 days!
5 comments:
My grandparents had a dairy and a farm. I am glad you got some of the experience! Riding in the tractor is the best.
The only thing better...would have been for us to be home and enjoy your company....but like you said, this will all come to pass in 20 days, but who's counting! Glad you were able to enjoy the farm, family and friends. Can't wait to be with you again.
I laughed so hard when you said "Who doesn't love pictures of Matt?" Glad you have tons of pictures of Matt for all of his fans and that you learned how to drive a tractor! Way to go!
Wow that is a big tractor!
A few thoughts:
1. I've felt the same about farms. It's hard to believe that real people OUR age actually know anything about farming.
2. You look good on a tractor.
3. What a fun trip! I'm happy you got to go!
Post a Comment