Thursday, January 20, 2011

When you're helping you're happy and you sing as you go...

Last night, matt and I fulfilled one of our service duties and went to a shift at the Lindon Cannery. Growing up, I remember my mom working at the cannery and thinking it would be fun to do one day. Well, let's just say, it was everything I imagined and more.

When we got there, I was intrigued and a little afraid when the senior missionary told us we would be working on Pork and Beans. All of our plans changed though, when she realized we would be the evening's cleaning crew. We started out by washing up, putting on plastic aprons, gloves, hairnets (over the ears), goggles and rubber boots. Sadly, we were unable to take pictures, but think of the Honey Bunches of Oats commercials. Some of the girls were skeptical of the boots, but it was definitely a good thing. Within seconds, we were trudging inches of water.

Matt man and I (along with another dude) were assigned to clean 3 very large machinery-type pots and the surrounding platform. I sprayed everything down with foam. It was a pretty fun job, a hose that had so much foam spraying out that I almost lost the thing a time or two. Then we scrubbed everything down and then proceeded to use large hoses to rinse everything off. You've gotta love being able to spray everywhere/anywhere inside, it's like a little kids dream come true!

Anyway, to make a long story short, we had a great time. What seemed like a potentially nasty job ended up being a great time, something you don't really get to do anywhere else. (although we did luck out in not having to scrub trash cans...) Who knows what we'll end up doing next time!

2 comments:

Jewelyn said...

that sounds awesome! hope you guys are doing well and staying warm! congrats on being new aunts and uncles again!

Suz said...

Sounds way more fun than the last time I went. I spent 3 hours elbow deep in raw chicken pieces, picking out the chunks of fat. The smell was right on the edge of intolerable. Not bad enough to throw up, but bad enough to make you wonder if will need too before you are finished. It was a bad day.