Sunday, May 8, 2011

Willkommen in Deutschland

So lots has happened since the last post. I can't believe how quickly this year is flying by.

Matt and I made it safely to Germany on Friday. We're sad to report, however, that our luggage did not. However, after a mini adventure of trying to figure out how to get our bags to us, we did got them a day later. Luckily Matt was smart and suggested we pack an extra outfit in our carry ons, so it wasn't the end of the world, but boy was I glad to get all of our things (how easy it is to take toiletries for granted...).

We've transitioned nicely. Matt started working, and I've been getting my hours here at the apartment. It's pretty amazing what technology allows us to do these days. I'm certainly grateful for it, otherwise there would be no European adventure for me. It is definitely different and more quiet to be working when everyone else is in a completely different time zone and sleeping for the majority of the day. My mornings are very busy with all the things that have been emailed to me, the middle of the day slows down a bit and then everything picks back up during the last hour or so when people start showing up at the office.

Despite my goal/promise to take pictures while we're here, I have only taken a couple of random shots. I blame it on the luggage fiasco...

The Asplunds, who are very close family friends of the Coxes, picked us up at the airport and showed around downtown. They also took us around the Church Office Building and introduced us to the people Matt Man would be working with. They have definitely taken good care of us; and we're very grateful to have them here.

We live outside the city, but it ended up being only about 3 miles away from Matt's office. The sad thing is, with traffic it takes around 30 minutes to get there. We learned that there is another senior missionary couple who live close to us, and they have been driving him in and back, so he saves a little time/hassle with the bus. He did have to ride the bus in for the first time this morning though. I was a little nervous. I gave him all the stops/transfers he needed. I walked him through the process and told him what to listen for on the intercom. I felt a little bit like an overprotective mother, but whatev, he made it there and didn't end up lost and unable to communicate (hah! They pretty much all speak English, but you know what I mean).

Anyway, we're excited to be here. It is quite the change to our usual routine, but we're enjoying the adventure. Next up: The Netherlands!

5 comments:

Abby said...

Wait a second...what are you guys doing in Germany? And for how long? That sounds awesome by the way:)

Brianne M England said...

i agree with abby, i had no idea you guys were moving to germany. could you provide your faithful blog readers with a little background info. how long are you gonna be there? for the summer or permanently?

Alison said...

I third these comments! you are living in Germany for what? How long? How cool! Are you going to the NEtherlands to visit or to live there too?

Erin said...

We need lots of posts and pics while you guys are having your Europe adventures!

Jewelyn said...

So glad you made it safely...and your luggage. Can't wait to see pics! Sounds sooooo exciting!