I am normally a fairly peaceful person, but I am declaring war. Our little apartment has ants. Originally we didn't think much of it because it was just an ant here or there. I thought it was weird because I never saw ants in the kitchen, just in the bathroom and an occasional little guy on the windowsill in our bedroom, so who knows what they are eating.
Well, I have had a change of heart. Although we still have yet to see an "Ant Highway" or anything close to it, essentially at almost any time of day, you can see a couple of the critters running around (a small handful has also found their way to the kitchen). I always wanted an ant farm as a child, but now I've grown up, I've learned a thing or two, and I definately don't want our house to be a large lifesize ant farm.
I think the deciding factor was the other night when we were laying in bed watching tv. My "behind" suddenly starting hurting/itching. I tried to be ladylike and just ignore it but was eventually forced to start scratching. It was all in vein though, with the dang pain continuing. After about 5 minutes, Matt showed me that we had a little ant in our bed. I was pretty disgusted by that, and then it dawned on me. I quickly yanked off my pants, and sure enough, there was a little guy trying to make my bum his dinner. I freaked out probably a little bit more than I should have, but Matt did think it was pretty funny when I started yelling "I have ants in my pants!!"
Well, typical me, those bites (yes, plural) swelled up pretty big and itched for the next few days. It was then I decided it was time for the ants to go.
After I got back from my conference in Detroit, we spent some time researching how to get rid of ants online. Then we went and started dumping vinegar down there holes. Apparently they don't like that. Also, pepper is also a deterrent so then we made mountains of pepper over all of the holes.
It has been a pretty good temporary method, but I still don't feel safe. I know I should hold grudges, but I don't think I'm going to be happy until the little guys have moved on!
Anyone have ideas on how to kill (it sounds so harsh, and yet, that is what needs to be down) these nuisances?
4 comments:
Ant killer spray (like Raid).
We have ants at the Beach House and have resorted to Raid as well. Ours have confined themselves to the kitchen. In the bed is another story. You need to ask Matt if he remembers the story of the mouse in my bed....a really creepy experience. Going to war sounds like a great idea....good luck.!
You cant get rid of ants completely unless you find the control center of the "farm", but that usually requires tearing out cement, etc. You can control them a little by sprinkling Boric acid, a powder you can buy in pharmacies, over their holes, and pathways. Put some in a salt shaker with a little sugar. You will have to go outside and sprinkle anything that looks like an ant hole or path around your apt. If you can actually get it on the ants, they will carry it down into the hole which is most effective, especially if you get lucky enough to get some on an ant that will meet up with the queen ant, but I dont think they go out into the world.
I am not big on killing any creature unless I am going to eat it,or it becomes a threat or nusiance. So, how do ants taste, when are you having us over for the feast.
Post a Comment