Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Oh Tannenbaum, Oh Tannenbaum

The holiday season is right around the corner, and Matt and I are facing a serious issue. He wants a real tree, and I think that is just unnecessary. His argument is that he doesn't want to miss out on the "Christmas-tree smell" and that an artificial tree isn't a real Christmas tree. I say just get some pine scented air freshener and then not have to worry about 1) burning your house down 2) vaccumming up the pine needles everyday (this doesn't seem to worry him, probably because he knows he won't be the one having to do it) 3) spending money on a new tree each year.

It will be interesting to see how this thing turns out...

9 comments:

Carrie said...

Your blog is really cute! Good luck with the trees...

Abby said...

Fake trees are really quite expensive aren't they? We are doing real for now, becuase if I get a fake tree someday I want a big huge gorgeous one that I can't yet afford and don't have room for.

Plus my family always did real, so I like them, and so does Matt.

Erin said...

We have been doing real ones. It can be fun to choose one. But, a hassle in some ways. I don't have room to store one. That is my biggest argument. I remember people always commenting on the tree smell with our FAKE tree. No one could tell the difference, even without air freshener.

It's a toss up for me.

Abraham said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Abraham said...

It's interesting how people tend to want to do what they grew up doing (at least when it comes to holiday traditions). Erin and I have talked about the same question--I grew up with real trees (it was sort of a family tradition to go and choose our Christmas tree each year), and Erin (as you know) grew up with fake trees. Obviously, each has its merits. I don't like having to worry about needles falling everywhere, but going and choosing a real tree does feel like Christmas to me. The irony, though, is that a lot of the trees we get haven't smelled very pine-y anyway--and apparently the fake trees can be pretty realistic in smell and appearance!

Unknown said...

We got a fake one for about $40 last year, and it already has lights in it so it's much less hassle, and you can easily rearrange the branches to where you want them for your ornaments to hang just right. But I like real trees, too. I grew up with a fake tree most of the time, and sometimes we'd get a real one, probably because of the pine needles and basin of water it has to sit in. Messy! So here's a suggestion: while you don't have kids to get into the needles and water, get a real tree, but then get a fake tree when you have kids so it's a less of a hassle/danger. As for the fire danger of real trees...just don't leave your lights plugged in very long, or when you're not home, or when you're asleep. :) good luck deciding!

Jewelyn said...

Hey! Hope thanksgiving was a blast! Cody and I have talked about trees too... I think since we're leaving on the 18th we're thinking of passing all together this year. Is that bad? I do have my house plant... I'm planning on just wrapping some lights around it. Ghetto I know... but better than nothing. :)

Brita said...

real tree!!

Suz said...

I grew up with a real tree every year. When we got married, it was a struggle every year to get Dave to want any tree at all, when I finally got him to consent to let me go get one, I could never find a nice one in our budget. I got some money for Christmas and found an artificial tree in the after-Christmas sales that was the exact amount as my Christmas money. It was the perfect solution for my tree problem. I figured with an artificial tree, I could put it up when I wanted. I guess that is how this debate was born...