I did something big tonight; I did our taxes. Check one more thing off of the "big girl" list. Now those of you who were around for the trainwreck that was me taking accounting (bad news, seriously bad news), are probably a little concerned and wondering why my my finance/economic graduate husband didn't take the lead on this one, I'm happy to report that I am fairly confident that I did them right (at least I sure hope so...).
UW has what is called the VITA or volunteer tax assistance program. Ironically, I used this program before I started working there and thought it was just BYU that put it on, but it is actually UW who coordinates the local area. It's an awesome program where trained volunteers help people who make less than $49,000 can come and receive free tax assistance. (we estimate for every hour volunteered, a total of more than $1,750 is brought back into our community, that's a total of $6.2 million just last year!) I've taken advantage of this great program since I've become a financially contributing member of society. For some reason, this year, I decided it would be a good idea to leave another appointment open for someone else and use our other great resource www.myfreetaxes.com/utah to prepare our taxes for free by myself. Amazingly enough, a few hours later, we were good to go. I had our VITA coordinator look over everything to make sure I didn't mess it up TOO badly, and when she gave us the green light, I submitted it.
Anyway, there is only a little more than a month left (did you know this year's deadline is April 18, not 15? Random, I know...). If you need some help, dial 2-1-1 (like 4-1-1, but 2-1-1 and it will connect you to our office) or 801-374-2588; we actually still have some appointments left! You can also use the www.myfreetaxes.com/utah site that we used this year if you want to easy step-by-step instructions or even just a free way to file. You can also make up to I want to say $59,000 to qualify for the service.
Happy taxes!
2 comments:
We did our taxes last night too! But now that we're really big kids and not students anymore, our return wasn't as big as it was last year. :(
i read that state taxes are due on the 15th and federal on the 18th because of a holiday in washington D.C. on the 15th this year. we haven't done ours yet, but i'm super excited to see what other benefits having a baby at the END of the year has. :) (thank goodness he wasn't 4 days later)
Post a Comment