Kind of random post, but whatever...
So i have mentioned on more than one occasion the awful insulation that our apartment sadly possesses. Last winter, after it started cooling off outside, I had multiple mishaps with my nice warm morning shower suddenly and without explanations turning to freezing cold water. It was bad, pretty much every morning I would end up almost in tears (ok, so i maybe cried for reals a few times) because our hot water would suddenly be completely gone, not to return for a few hours.
As matt and I brainstormed to figure out what the problem was (and before we got too smelly from avoiding the shower...), the only thing we could think of was that the pipes were so cold it was quickly using everything our old waterheater could handle to have warm water reach the showerhead. While this didn't seem to make sense-- I have lived in the same cold winters here in Utah my whole life and never experienced this, and people live in much colder places, and i have never heard of them not having being forced to take a cold shower-- nothing else seemed to make sense either. This made us pretty sad and very unaware of how to fix our problem.
Luckily, we eventually noticed a pattern; when the heater turned on, our hot water disappeared. Now, I haven't ever heard/experienced this either, but it seemed a lot more likely than our other theory. So, now, we turn off our heater every morning before hopping into the shower. It's kind of sad to not have a warm house when you climb out, but I'll definitely take that over the ice shower any day.
This winter, I called around to try and find out what it would take to nip this issue in the bud (it is a BAD morning when you forget to turn the thing off or evening when you get home from work/school if you forget to turn it back on...). Unfortunately, pretty much every place thought that i was just a crazy woman and had no ideas for me.
Oh the joys of apartment living! Gotta love the funny quirks of this place.
2 comments:
Does your thermostat have a program option? If it does, you can have it automatically turn off in the morning and back on in the afternoon, or however it has to work.
We had quite a few heater problems when the winter started up here. Thankfully they weren't water heater problems. That's so tough.
did the miller's have the same problem while living there?
Post a Comment