Friday, March 6, 2009

You Can Never Have Enough Kitchen Towels

I did "Food on Tires" yesterday. Between the week of Christmas and New Year, I was the only person around in the office who was authorized to do it (you have to have a background check and be trained), so I ended up doing it every day. During this time, one of the ladies (the one who never wears pants, bless her heart) decided she thought I was pretty neat. She is very lonely and has been known to keep volunteers chatting with her for lengthy amounts of time. Well, she found out that I was engaged and excitedly declared, "Well, I'm going to get you kitchen towels! No one can ever have enough kitchen towels!" And then she found out we were getting married over Valentine's Day weekend, which delighted her even more because she could "find all sorts of great towels with hearts on them!"

I quickly assured her she didn't need to get me anything (none of these people have any money) but thanked her for her generosity. Despite my protests of it being enough that she was willing, she insisted on getting me some kitchen towels with hearts on them.

Ever since then, she loves when I am the one who volunteers. She is really deaf and can never hear my name right, but she faithfully greets me with a "Brenda, right? You're the one who is getting married! On February 12, did I remember right?" Then she would proceed to inspect my ring and get the latest on all of the planning (all with my shouting and repeating multiple times, she really should put her hearing aids in more often). The shortest amount of time I've spent with her since then is 25 minutes, which would be ok, except my whole lunch hour is only between 30-60 minutes, and there are 11 other people who need food delivered.

Well, yesterday she told me to go and search through the bags on her couch because she was finally able to make it to the store (this is an extremely nice thing for her to do, she is so arthritic that she is almost completely crippled). She was sad that she didn't make it before all of the heart towels were gone, but she got me some nice blue ones. She is so sweet and kept saying how she really just wanted to get me some colorful, cute ones, but no one had any color except for white. She wrote down matt's name and told me she would have a card for us next time I came.

It was such a "small" gesture, but for her, it was huge. I am so appreciative of her act of kindness. I know it was a hardship for her. I hope that I can be as kind as her, even my old and decrepit age.

3 comments:

Suz said...

That is so sweet. It just shows how desperate these shut-ins are for human contact. I have a definite weak spot for the elderly. I'm glad you volunteer for this program. It is a good cause.

Bob and Becky said...

I have such empathy for the aged. I think because of the special experiences I was able to share with my mom as she suffered through the last years of her life. I appreciate your kindness, consideration and patience...who knows, someday you might have to extend a helping hand to your Mom or I as we experience many of the same symptoms...that's kinda scary, huh?

Dave said...

You might share a wedding picture with her of you and Matt?