My coworker had to make a phone call yesterday to a person named "La-a." She asked around to get suggestions on how to say the name, and the general consensus was just a long La (Laa). She dialed the number and asked for Laa but was quickly scolded and told that "the dash isn't silent! It's pronounced Ladasha!"
I don't know why I find that so funny (Matt didn't seem to get nearly as much enjoyment out of the story as me), but I thought it was hilarious. It has inspired my first daughter's name though, La.a, said Ladota. I think we could have a new trend here...
8 comments:
hahahahahahahahahaha
I heard a similar story at one of my dental rotations. They kept asking for the girl (can't remember the name) in the lobby and finally the mom came up mad and told them it was name -, the dash was not silent. Funny that wasn't a one time incident.
It may be cutsy to write it out that way but ridiculous to think everyone is supposed to just know.
This is the first time I've ever heard of this - thing.
So, are we supposed to start pronouncing the dash everytime we see one?
motherdashindashlaw? (Mother-in-law)etc?
I thought that was really funny too! It's even funnier that your coworker got scolded for it though!
Definitely funny--I laughed out loud. You've got to be careful with La.a, people might pronounce it "Laperioda", not as catchy somehow;)
Can you imagine how easy that would be to write your name in Kindergarten...."La.a"...and it really is quite catchy as Ladota...How much fun you do have in your workplace....
Someone at work asked me the very next day how to pronounce La-a. Funny! I knew right away the proper pronunciation for his patient. Thanks for the extra preparation.
apparently La-a gets around because i've heard the independent study customer service complain about that name too.
Post a Comment