So after attending a family ward for the past couple of months, and my NY ward for the 3-4 months before that, I have to admit, I forgot a little bit how BYU wards are. Shortly after announcements were over, the stake president stood up for a little Q&A session (it was ward conference). As soon as the first question was out of the girl's mouth, I was reminded of how much finding the "perfect" mate is such a huge priority. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all about getting married to a fabulous man, but I just found it funny how probably 75% of the questions asked were dealing with dating.
Towards the end of RS, we had a special announcement from a guy and a girl. The ward is starting what they call Awkward Hour (no joke!). What this awkward hour entails is a committee pairing up a boy and a girl and "forcing" (yes, they actually said this was mandatory, and they would be forcing everyone to participate) them to get together during the week, make dinner and eat it together. That Sunday at ward prayer, the couples will then have to stand in front of everyone and report how this went. One of my favorite parts of their speal (spelling?) was how great this is because if you are interested in someone in the ward, they can totally set you up, and the other person wouldn't even know! Hahaha, I almost started laughing out loud.
Ok, while I appreciate the idea of this activity, I think it is a little bit ridiculous. How can they force people to participate? And honestly, what are the odds this is actually going to work for anyone? It would be a fun story if it somehow did manage to work out.
Now I know why I'm a graduated old-maid, I was never blessed to be forced to attend awkward hour! In closing (how is that to end a post about church?), I do give them props for creativity.
3 comments:
Oh my hell.
I seriously can't believe this.
oh my heck! (that comment was to go along with all of the "utahness" you are enduring at the moment) brenna! i'm here! i didn't forget about you! although you probably feel like i fell off the face of the planet... you come stay with me and then i never talk to you again. i think about you everyday when i look at your vampire book... which i loved and need to send back to you! i miss you and our talks... what is your address?
I was totally in a ward that did that at BYU.. and this is why I went inactive for about a year
Post a Comment