I drove to my parents' house today and saw several people walking around dressed as pioneers (and even a handcart of two!). I think it might be fairly safe for me to say that this is probably the only place that people not only own pioneer dresses, aprons and bonnets, but they actually wear them.
Gotta love the big UT! Happy Pioneer Day!!!
PS-- (can you have those on a blog?) Claire and Kristen, do people dress up as pilgrams where you live? What about sail around on old-fashioned boats while wearing their Puritan garb?
5 comments:
Brenna, You really need to come to Iowa sometime. Utah's not the only place. Iowa City is where the handcarts all began!!!
ONLY in Utah.
I actually saw some people dressed up in pioneer-like clothing today! Someone was doing a reenactment of the boston massacre in the boston commons when my mom and I went through it! Technically it is colonial style clothing, but lots of bonnets, pettycoats and long dresses all the same...
I don't think as many people own their own clothes out here, just those trying to make some money as tour guides/entertainers!
Actually, not ONLY in Utah...also in Iowa City and Nauvoo. I bet Winter Quarters, Kirtland, etc...
I thought I finally escaped the handcart re-enactments. Instead, I just came to the beginning of the trail instead of the end! Mormon Trek Blvd. and the University of Iowa's Mormon Handcart Park are just a few blocks from our house.
Nothing out here in Kansas...although I think they had some good celebrations back home in Washington, who'd have thought!
Post a Comment