Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Surfing USA

So for the 4th of July, I went to the beach in California. We got off to an early start at 4 freakin' AM Wednesday and had smooth sailing until right after we entered California when we were stopped for "road blasting." Now, I've never really heard of blasting the road, but all I know is they shut down the Interstate for reasons we couldn't see/feel/hear. As annoying as being at a complete stop for that long was, it was kind of funny to be walking around on I-15 and playing frisbee in the median. After an hour, people started piling back in their cars, and we once again headed out.

Our next stop was Matt's almond farm. It's funny to me that people still live on farms because its such a foreign concept to me, but it was fun driving around on all the tractors and seeing such a different lifestyles.

Shortly after our tractor tour, we headed off for the final 2 hours of our journey. We arrived at the beach house and immediately headed to the beach. I was really surprised by how different this beach was from any beach I've been to. The water was FREEZING, and I couldn't believe all the waves. It was still great to be at the beach though.

The next morning, we put on our suits and decided to take the boogie boards out. I've never really done this before, but thought, "Hey, how hard can it be?" Boy, did I underestimate the skill of boogie boarders. Let's just say after I got over the initial shock of the what felt like 30 degree water, I didn't exactly "catch any waves." The end of my boogie boarding experience was when I had a major wipe out and somewhere along the trying to come back up for air with the cord wrapping around my neck, broke the boogie board in half. When I realized what I had done, I felt bad for breaking the board and dejectedly walked back to shore. It was then that I was met by shocked faces saying the boards are essentially impossible to break. The boys even decided to try and break the board more, and they were unable to do so. I then told everyone that I just wanted to show them what would happen if you got on my bad side, i think it served as a good warning.

The rest of the weekend was filled with eating, parades, sleeping in the sun and fireworks at the pier.

It was a great weekend and a much needed break from crazy work. I love the beach!

5 comments:

Caitlyn Jackson said...

sounds like you had fun!

ashley said...

LOL, 1. Your a great story teller, 2. I'm glad you enjoyed the beach, sounds fun! and 3. I can't believe you broke the board...you crack me up

ashley said...

P.S. What ever happened with the Miley Cyrus/Stadium of Fire tickets?

Colt said...

sounds like you had a blast at boy intern's beach house!

Anonymous said...

wow you broke a boogie board?! Glad the rest of your California trip was enjoyable! This summer, you should come and visit me in San Diego! :D You know I will keep trying until you give it! Love you!