Sunday, October 19, 2008

Sing, Sing a Song

So last week during ward counsel, the bishop mentioned that he wanted to have a musical number for ward conference today instead of a practice hymn. The girl in charge of music looked fairly perplexed by this, and so my friend leaned over and said, "Oh don't worry, brenna and I can do something!"

Now back in the day, I used to perform all the time. I started playing the piano in church when I was twelve and from then on out, I regularly played the piano or sang in sacrament. Since high school though, I haven't done anything like that. After she volunteered us, she looked and me and said "that's ok, right?" I reluctantly agreed.

Well, we sang today. I couldn't believe how nervous I was! I don't have church until 12:30 and was practicing beforehand. I was so nervous that I started shaking, while I was still at my apartment! When I got to the chapel, my nervousness didn't go away at all. I think I prayed during that meeting more and than any meeting in a long time. As the time approached, my nerves calmed enough to be able to walk up to the pulpit. We started singing, and I slowly yet surey began to shake even more.

I don't know if this happens to anyone else, but whenever I'm standing at a podium of somekind and I am nervous, I can keep my whole body still except for my bum. It never fails, during musical numbers, talks, presentations, when nervous, my bum just shakes. I don't know if it is because I am trying so hard to keep everything from shaking that it all gets concentrated in that one spot or what. I always wonder if the bishopric and people on the stand can tell this and if it happens to anyone else.

Is anyone going to be brave enough to confess to also having a bum shaking problem? Don't be shy, my bum is quite large and so yours can't be worse than mine...

6 comments:

ELA said...

Sorry, Brenna. I don't have a bum shaking problem (a least I have never noticed), but my legs shake like crazy.

I wish I could have been there to hear you sing. I bet it was beautiful.

Abby said...

Haha! You're brave. I haven't done anything like that for a verrry long time. My legs shake--I wouldn't be surprised if my bum did too, though!

Abraham said...

They can only tell if they are looking at your bum...so yes, they can definitely tell it is shaking!

Amber said...

I can definitely relate. I used to be so comfortable, but I was shaking so much the last time I sang in sacrament. I'm not sure about the bum thing, but my bum is the biggest around, so pretty sure it happens. Pretty sure Russell would attest to that. I couldn't even sing for mom while practicing for American Idol. I don't know what's happened to my singing in public talent.

PS I would have liked to watch you sing. Wish you would have invited me.

Colt said...

i shake my bum in public all the time, its a good way to make some extra cash on the side.

Suz said...

I too would have liked to hear.

My whole body shakes.