Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Whoa! I am Naked in Here!

I wasn't feeling that great today. I decided to take an early lunch and come home and take a nap. All of my roommates are working professionals, and I am the only one whose office is close enough to come home during the day, so no one is ever home between 8-5. Because of this, I got home, went straight back to my room and didn't even bother to turn on my light or shut the door. Not wanting to get my work clothes wrinkly, I decided to just take them off and climb into bed in my underwear. I set my alarm to give me plenty of time to make it back to work in time and quickly dozed off to sleep.

Things were going great until I was woken up by the doorbell. I decided to just ignore it, but the person seemed fairly persistent. I finally decided I should get up and get it, but then I figured by the time I got my clothes on and to the door, they would be gone. I rolled over to go back to sleep when I heard the door open and a man's voice call out, "Maintenance! Anyone here?"

I froze and my first instinct was to be really quiet and hope he didn't know I was there. Then I came to my senses when I realized that plan would backfire if he was here to fix something in my room. I timidly yelled, "Hello??" He then again identified himself as maintenance and said he would be working in hall and in the bathroom next to my room. I just layed under my covers in my nearly naked state, covering myself as much as possible and wondering if I would be able to get back to work on time. I wondered if I could get up and close the door without him seeing me. Being too afraid to try that, I decided to wait it out and hope he was fast.

After a little while, I heard him leave. I was just about to make a dash for the door when he came back in. He was here for a while longer and left again. This time I waited 15 minutes and figured it was safe when he still hadn't returned. I quickly shut and locked my bedroom door, pulled my clothes on super fast and ran out the door back to my office. What a day!

3 comments:

ashley said...

Haha, this is a good story Brenna, I had something similar happen last year with the maintenance guys at our complex! Just think if he would have saw you you probably would have made his day!s

Heidi Henderson said...

That's an awesome story! Nothing like intruders!!!! Stinks you didn't get your sleep!

Suz said...

How long does it take to jump out of bed and close the door? He made it clear he was there to to fix something, not hurt any occupants. Once you heard him leave, you could have jumped out of bed and closed the door in one and a half seconds. Once closed, it would not have mattered if he came back while you were dressing. I am sure he would not have openen your door without at least knocking first.

If he were really someone to be afraid of, laying in bed, half naked, waiting for him to not assault you seems like a very "victim" thing to do.

Preventative measures:
Get one of those chain locks that are locked only from the inside. A good idea for renters knowing that the landlord has a key to your home. At least, if you are home it will let any maintenance people know someone is home even if they did not answer the door.

Does your bedroom door have a lock? Buy a doorknob that locks from the inside. Keep the old doorknob so when/if you move again, you can take your piece of mind doorknob wherever you go. They are not hard to replace.
Just some suggestions.