Everyone knows the story of Cinderella. I know many girls who are in love with the romantic fairy tale.
I'm in charge of all the event planning for my office. In two week tomorrow, I have my first event: the Annual Thank You Breakfast for all major donors and volunteers. It has been quite the experience to get thrown in have to plan such a huge event on my own.
I've had to do everything from invitations, to writing the script and creating a press kit, to deciding on the menu and decorations, but surprisingly, the most difficult thing has been finding the "right" awards. My predecessor had that dang creative gene that is so elusive for me. People have high expectations and the typical plaque doesn't quite seem to cut it.
One of the awards is going to our group of women who threw a fancy banquet last year and earned more than $40,000 to go towards helping children succeed. The theme of the banquet was "In her Shoes," so what we thought was a great idea was formed, get a glass slipper and have it engraved as the award! Well, for the past 2 1/2 weeks, I've searched every store that would possibly have some sort of glass shoe. I even tracked down the phone number of a couple glass blowers in the community, who said they don't do shoes. You would think the Cinderella connection would make this a fairly simple task, but boy was I wrong!
On Friday, I finally found one online, it is only 4" long, so I decided I would just have to mount it on something. Well, my glass treasure arrived today, and it is a beauty! It is small, but I think what I had done with it is going to look great. An awards store is making a special L-shaped plaque. The little shelf on it will hold the slipper, and then there will be a small plaque attached to the wood above it with the engraving. It is going to be made so it can be hung on the wall.
I'm excited that everything for my first big project seems to be coming together. I'm down to the last little bit and am feeling pretty good about everything. I sure hope I'm not feeling this calm about everything because I'm forgetting some major thing...
3 comments:
Are you going to post a pic once it's all done? I would love to see it. It just sounds so cool. P.S. Congrats on the completion of your first task. You’ve got skills girl.
well good job getting everything all done! I, also, would like to see pics.
It sounds like a great idea! I bet it will be adorable and the recipients will love it. Good luck with the event itself!
Post a Comment