I got a letter from my Austrian host family today. It always makes me happy to hear from them and what is going on in my second home. Last time I wrote to them, I decided to be brave and actually write it in German. I will admit i was a little dismayed when I opened the letter because they decided to respond in German! I was nervous I wouldn't be able to understand it, but amazingly enough, I understood everything but one sentence (them asking when i was getting married, what is with all of these marriage references in my life? Haha)!
For those I haven't talked to Vienna about (I don't know if there is anyone i haven't talked about this to, haha), I had the BEST host dad ever. Everyone in my group was jealous of him and he took great care of me. He was a little boy during WWII and was in Vienna when it was bombed. Every year around their equivalent to the 4th of July, he goes to the schools and talks to the children about what it was like. He has pictures of the bombed city, his mom's passport to get around the 4 sectors (Vienna was split like Berlin, the passport has pages in English, French, Russian and German), and other things. He talks about how his little sister was sent to Portugal with all of the other really small children, but he wasn't able to go because he was just barely over the age limit. It is extremely fascinating, and he was nice enough to come and give the presentation to the BYU kids for an FHE.
Anway, in the letter I got today, he told me a BYU professor came and interviewed him recently. I guess he is making a film/documentary of some kind and Peter will be a big part of it. I found the professor's email and emailed him. I sure hope he writes me back so i can see it!
No comments:
Post a Comment