Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Walking down the Basketball Court, or I Mean Aisle!

No, I haven't figured out the name of my mystery man yet, but....

My sisters and I have always had very different ideas than most girls of how we wanted our weddings. We did not want to have a reception where we had to stand in a line all night shaking hands of people we don't know and not even get to enjoy the food and entertainment. When my sisters got married this year, one did not have a reception and the other had a big luau party. Although I don't know what exactly I want, there are a few things I definitely DON'T want.

So whenever I go to the Independent Study Office (yes, i finally finished!!), I pass this van advertising wedding decorations. The business is called something like "Cindyrella's Decorations" and then it says "Cultural Hall Decorations." Only in Utah...This truly is the epitome of the Utah Wedding Culture.

I'm by no means saying having you reception in the cultural hall is a bad thing, but it is definitely not for me. I think it hilarious that there is a company that specializes in this! I guess it is a good idea since it is so common around here, but everytime I drive past that van, I can't help but think i'm just going to elope (to the temple, of course)!

6 comments:

ELA said...

I agree! Cultural Hall is not for ME!

Abraham said...

I wonder what Bob thinks...

Alison said...

As the married commentator, I have a different perspective. Let me give you my points.

1. Despite what you want, you'll have a husband who, believe it or not, will have his own ideas about a wedding. I was a fan of getting sealed in a far away temple, with just our parents present. They got a free vacation out of it, we got our honeymoon paid for. Then, we would return for an open house.
Not so. Ethan wanted the line, just as you described it. It was simpler that way, he said. So, despite my attempts at a destination wedding or something else less conventional, not so. Sure, standing for 1.5 hours and shaking lots of hands was by no means the highlight of my wedding, but it wasn't so bad.

2. Cultural halls don't cost money. Sure it's "Utahesqe" and cliche, but wouldn't you rather use that money on a vacation, new car, something else? I initially refused the cultural hall bit on the outset, and after looking at places that ranged from $2,000 to $30,000 (plus catering), a cultural hall looked pretty appealing. Our reception was in the cultural hall of an old pioneer church.

In the end, though, you will have the best day ever (whether luau or cultural hall) and also, figuring out what you don't like gets you one step closer to what you do like!

Abraham said...

I still want to know what Bob thinks!!!

Erin said...

I was told over and over again, "It's your day!" So if you don't like the gym, don't do it! And my wedding cost only a few hundred dollars to rent a beautiful park up the canyon. You can find other ways.

Rae said...

Amen Brenna. Amen.